Monday, February 14, 2011

Día de San Valentín

Pardon the change of plans, dear readers. I mentioned following with a review of the J & F Lurton "El Albar" red from Toro DO (Spain) , but as it turns instead I felt compelled to compliment the dinner my wife so lovingly prepared for us tonight and that dinner consisted of lobster tail, swordfish kebab and asparagus. I went to Sigel's in Legacy and picked up two bottles, one was meant as the classic food pairing and the second was just my whim to revisit one of my favorite reds.

Xavier Monnot "Les Chevaliers" 2007 Meursault, Burgundy (France)

Chardonnay was subjected to years of disdain in my book, so much that I find it entirely ridiculous that the first review of a white wine is indeed one pertaining to a fucking Chardonnay. I've sold out in a way, but it doesn't bother me to admit that I can now spend extended amounts of time in the Burgundy section at wine shops. Life is too short to misunderstand wine. So this little girl is a Grand Cru wine, a fact I acknowledged while only looking at the 50 USD price tag, regardless, the wine was pleasant, with a delightfully balanced nose of baked apple, citrus and almost ghostlike oak notes. Clean and buttery, a powerful example of the Meursault AOC, with a pleasant finish. It highlighted the lobster for sure, and made the asparagus taste all the greener. I was entirely pleased.

Château L'Evangile 1999 Pomerol, Bordeaux (France)

It's been less than a week, and I'm back in Pomerol. If you recall/revisit my last entry, I made mention of this particular Château and it's wonders. Belonging to the spiderweb of quality estates under the Rothschild roster, these wines have a reputation that in my opinion far succeed that of their first growth Ch. Mouton/Ch. Lafite brothers in the left-bank of the Bordeaux. About 75% Merlot and the rest Cabernet Franc. 150 USD. Lovely color, enough rim variation to easily denote the 11 plus years in the bottle, the nose is enticing, deep and intriguing : licorice abounds, subtle notes of  raspberries and minerals. In the mouth it is classic right-bank, but shows little to no signs of mellowing, you'd expect a wine as old as this to bring about some delicacy but instead this godly elixir has aged the way Keith Richards has, amazing but quite fucking far from graceful. This is not a matter of maturing, this is just how L'Evangile drinks. I'd put this up against any bullshit "boutique" California Merlot anyday, because unlike it's counterparts, this is a Merlot that can and will gladly kick your ass, especially if your neophyte-ass ever mentions that stupid line from the movie Sideways. "I'm NOT drinking any fucking Merlot... Blah blah blah", come get your silly asses kicked!



No comments:

Post a Comment